BANNER PHOTOS: Copyright Paul Saltzman


Soon Available on DVD:

THE BEATLES REMASTERED ON CD — BUY ON AMAZON

Howard Stern to Introduce Ringo at TM Benefit Concert

This in from AWEARNESS Blog:

"Raunchy radio star Howard Stern has -- believe it or not -- copped to being a student of Transcendental Meditation for years. ...every morning -- at 4 am -- and night he clears his head and meditates. Stern credits the practice with helping him quit smoking and achieve his goals in radio. He also announced on his Sirius show last week that he will appear at Hollywood director David Lynch's "Change Begins Within" concert at Radio City Music Hall on Saturday, April 4. Also appearing are Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Eddie Vedder, Donovan, Sheryl Crow, Ben Harper, Moby, Bettye Lavette, Paul Horn and Jim James.


The event's goals are to "raise funds to teach one million at-risk children to meditate -- giving them life-long tools to overcome stress and violence and promote peace and success in their lives." The David Lynch Foundation advocates meditation -- the TM Quiet Time program -- in schools as a means to increase academic performance and attention span. To that end the foundation provides scholarships for students in grades 6-12. From Associated Content:

David Lynch and other proponents of TM suggest that students who spend 15-20 meditating each morning experience better concentration in school, better academic performance and lower incidences of depression and anxiety.

Despite Howard Stern's repeated self-proclamations that he is the "King of All Media," he rarely makes live appearances in public outside of his radio show. Stern stated that he originally considered declining Lynch's offer to appear because of his discomfort about appearing in public, but changed his mind because he believes in the cause so strongly. He also stated that Transcendental Meditation practice helped to reduce his mother's symptoms of depression.

Learn more about the concert at DLF.tv. Information on Transcendental Meditation program scholarships can be found here.

The "Beatles Examiner" reports:

Howard Stern announced on his radio show Wednesday that he'll be introducing Ringo Starr at the David Lynch "Change From Within" benefit concert April 4 starring Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr at Radio City Music Hall. In discussing what his introduction would be, he said he was introduced to meditation by his mother.

"I'm gonna go up there and say, 'Listen, I've been meditating since I'm 18 years old. I'm now 55. And meditation was a big thing in my family. It changed our lives, particularly my mother's. My mother was a depressed woman." he said on the air. ... "I like (meditation). I've been doing it ever since. ... And I love them for saving my mother. And I even got to interview the Maharishi twice. Then I'll say the Maharishi was a great man. And I thank him every day for this," he continued.

Stern gave high praise to the Beatles. "I believe the Beatles had such an impact on our world that they were truly profound individuals. That's why I get excited when Paul McCartney's here. And John Lennon I felt equally the same way. ... They influenced so many people and touched so many people's lives through their creativity."

After a comment was made that with Paul and Ringo in the same building, they've got to be doing something together, Stern alluded to that, but didn't give details. "Well, I've been given certain information about this concert because I'm a part of it. Where I understand big things will be happening."

He also make a joking remark that recalls Paul's recent appearance on Stern's show. "I'm gonna steal something from Paul. I'm gonna steal the real guitar that he's playing. I'll be backstage and I'll just grab something." Stern fans know that McCartney gave him an autographed bass guitar for his birthday.

Concert webcast: DLF.TV, David Lynch's new online channel which started on Wednesday, will webcast from backstage at the "Change Begins Within" concert April 4. (The concert itself will not be webcast.) The webcast will start att 6:30 p.m. EDT on DLF.TV and will use BitGravity's BG LiveTM highly-scalable flash-based video stream service.

Concert ticket contest: The Lynch Foundation is giving away two tickets to the show in a contest. Read about it in a column we posted Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment